Coronavirus Campus Communication 3/13/2020
To: Students, Faculty and Staff
Date: March 13, 2020
Re: Campus Communication on Coronavirus
Dear Students, Staff, and Faculty:
We write to keep you informed about the coronavirus (COVID-19) and steps Ramapo College continues to take to keep our community safe in connection to your personal international travel plans. While there are confirmed cases of COVID-19 in New Jersey, at this time there are no confirmed cases of COVID-19 on our campus.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has now issued a Level 3 Travel Warning – “Avoid Nonessential Travel” for the majority of Europe. Pursuant to our guidance in the March 8th Broadcast Email, if you are traveling to any of the countries listed with a Level 3 Travel Warning, the College is requiring you to self-quarantine, off campus, for 14 days from when you return and practice social distancing. Further, you will be required to present the College with medical clearance from your physician or a community based medical provider (even if you are symptom free) before you can return to campus.
As of today, the countries on a CDC Level 3 travel warning are: Austria, Belgium, China, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Iran, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Monaco, San Marino, and Vatican City. If you do travel, always monitor guidance from the U.S. Department of State, and the CDC. While we encourage you to stay informed about your international travel plans, we also want you to stay current on any domestic travel plans – especially travel to areas of the United States where there have been confirmed cases of COVID-19.
I Already Registered My Personal International Travel with You, Now What?
Students will receive a dedicated message (to your Ramapo College email) from the Pandemic Assessment Team, explaining directions for off-campus, self-quarantine and how to provide the medical clearance. Employees will receive similar information from Human Resources.
What If I Am No Longer Traveling?
If you have postponed or cancelled plans and would like to remove your name from the registry, please email email@example.com.
How Do I Add My Name?
If you are traveling outside of the United States (to any country), we ask that students and employees please complete the College’s international travel registry questionnaire for any international travel between now and May 12, 2020. By completing the questionnaire, you will enable the College to support you with the most current resources and professional advice concerning your international travel.
There are action steps you can take to prevent and avoid being exposed to the virus.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), you should:
- Avoid close contact (within 6 feet) with sick people;
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth;
- Stay home if you are sick;
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze, and throw away the tissue;
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe;
- The CDC does not recommend that people who are well wear a facemask to protect themselves from respiratory disease, including COVID-19;
- Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom, before eating, and after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing. (Hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol may be used if water is not available.
Here are more ways to reach us, if you have Ramapo specific questions:
- COVID-19 State of NJ Hotline: (800) 222-1222
- Ramapo College COVID-19 Information Line: (201) 684-RCNJ or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Students: Health related questions should be directed to Health Services at (201)684-7536
- Students who are studying abroad: Contact the Roukema Center for International Education at (201) 684-7533
- Counseling Services: Mental health related services for students can be secured at (201) 684-7522
- Employees: Questions regarding employment should be directed to Human Resources at (201) 684-7498 or email@example.com
We will continue to provide resource information on the Health Services website. The situation is constantly changing, so please bookmark these websites and continue to keep yourself informed of the professional guidance. We all have a responsibility to keep our campus safe, so please practice social distancing, identify your personal travel, heed the prevention information, and be kind to one another during this unprecedented time.
Melissa Van Der Wall
Dean of Students
Pandemic Assessment Team, chair
Debra Lukacsko, MSN, BA, RN, APN, C
Associate Director of Health Services
Pandemic Assessment Team, member