Campus Connect is a free training that provides gatekeepers with information and strategies to help prevent suicide, and refer students to campus and community resources. Counseling Services staff utilizes experiential exercises, including an emphasis on acknowledging and working with gatekeepers own fears about suicide. Campus connect prepares faculty, staff, and students with an opportunity to learn about suicide prevention, and practice strategies for interacting with a student who is in crisis.
A Campus Connect gatekeeper training session includes:
- Review of college student suicide statistics and facts
- Discussion of suicide myths and warning signs
- Instruction on how to ask students if they are thinking about suicide and how to refer students to mental health professionals
- Review of effective communication and relationship-building skills
- Discussion of typical emotional reactions experienced both by students in crisis and responding gatekeepers
- Participation in four experiential exercises
- Participation in a guided group role play
Please RSVP to Susan Blezow (x7522 or email@example.com) at Center for Health and Counseling Services if plan to attend in order to get an accurate headcount.