WHILE YOU ARE WAITING FOR YOUR APPOINTMENT
Self-care is an important component of one’s overall sense of well-being. While you are waiting to be assigned to a counselor (and always!), we encourage you to follow these suggestions for improving your health and well-being:
- Exercise can help to improve mood. Walk, run, bike – anything to get moving & release those endorphins.
- Eat healthy. Your body needs food in order for your mind to function well.
- Use supports – stay connected to people with whom you can talk.
- Sleep for at least 7 hours. Go to bed and get up at regular times, even if you are tired in the morning. This routine can help you to regulate your sleep/wake cycle and regulate your moods.
- Avoid alcohol and other drugs. While they may seem to give you some temporary relief, they will worsen how you feel and can intensify your symptoms.
- Keep a routine of getting up, getting dressed, going to classes, studying, etc., even if you do not feel like it. Sometimes just doing the routine can help you feel better.
- Practice relaxation:
- Learn how to practice relaxation via YouTube videos like this one:
- Check out the RCNJ schedule of yoga workshops here:
- Check out the Krame Center for Mindfulness & Contemplative Studies here:
- Check out one of these What’s Up Doc videos from Seton Hall University for more helpful tips on wellness
- Check out other mental health links on the RCNJ Counseling Services website here:
- Live in the present. Think about what you need to do in the next hour or two.