The Ramapo College Yoga Teacher Certificate Program is Yoga Alliance Certified, and based on classical yoga as described in the ancient texts, centered upon Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras. Our program honors and teaches the philosophy and the meditative aspects of yoga, as well as asana (poses) and pranayama (breath). To earn a Yoga Teacher Certificate, a student is required to complete:
- EDUC 205: Contemplative Practices in Education, offered both spring and fall semesters, where many of the ancient texts are studied along with an introduction to Sanskrit and the various application in yoga across populations and the lifespan.
EDUC 205 Course Description: The study of the history and philosophy of various contemplative traditions. Class time is divided between theory and practice; includes 1 1/2 hour yoga asana component in every class.
- Six intensive weekend sessions offered only in the fall semester, addressing yoga anatomy and physiology, an extensive foundation in yoga pedagogy, yoga technique, and ethics and lifestyle.
- 20 hours of additional Yoga technique classes, offered on a regular basis throughout the week through the Ramapo Yoga Club.
- Three additional weekend yoga workshops that that include topics such as more in-depth exploration of various branches of yoga, children’s yoga, and exploration of the classical understanding of the subtle body.
This program can be completed in 5 months of intensive study, or may be taken more leisurely over a full year. Our teachers offer experiences in a variety of Hatha Yoga traditions, including Iyengar, Krishnamacharya, and others. The program provides a strong foundation for teaching Hatha yoga and students leave with the tools to be successful yoga teachers in a variety of settings.
Study Abroad Opportunity
Yoga students are invited to participate in Ramapo’s India Semester Abroad program at the Fireflies Ashram near Bangalore in South India. This Study Abroad experience may be incorporated into the Yoga Teacher Training.
- Prerequisite: 100 hours or one year of previous yoga study (Ramapo College’s Foundations of Yoga Certificate, or 100 hours of previous yoga practice in studios or classes)
- Submit a 200 word essay: Describe previous yoga experience and reasons for wanting to teach
- Submit most recent academic transcript. Must have good academic standing at the educational institution currently attending or previously attended
- Application fee $50
- Principles of Asana and Alignment
- Teaching Methodology
- Pranayama and Kriyas
- Philosophy: Yoga Sutras, Bhagavad Gita, Tree of Samkhya
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Other traditions of Contemplation
- Neuropsychology of Yoga
- Using Yoga in schools
- Introduction to Sanskrit
- Chanting, Meditation & Mudra
- Dharma Talks
- Teaching students with physical challenges
- How to Structure a Class
- Building on a Theme
- The Business of Yoga
- Presenting Yourself as a Teacher
- Techniques: 100 Hours
- Yoga Philosophy, Ethics & Lifestyle: 30 Hours
- Teaching Methodology: 25 Hours
- Anatomy & Physiology: 20 Hours
- Additional Requirements: 25 Hours
Note that students must complete all certificate requirements at RCNJ; transfer credits cannot be used to satisfy these requirements. In addition, all Yoga Teacher Certificate requirements must be completed within one and a half years of acceptance to the program.
Upon completion of all requirements, students receive 200-hour Yoga Teacher Certificate by Ramapo College, a Yoga Alliance registered school. RCNJ will verify completion of the program to potential employers or other parties when requested by the student.
Tuition & Fees
- Application fee $50
- Tuition for in-state students: $3885 (~$1797 for EDUC 205 + ~$2088 for 6 mandatory weekend programs) plus 3 Yoga Workshops. Text books not included. Tuition Information
- All relevant non-tuition related charges (e.g., parking fees, dishonored check fees, etc.) apply
Ramapo College permanent employees, regardless of full- or part-time status, are eligible for the employee rate on this program. Please call 201.684.7370 for more information.
The College reserves the right to change costs, dates and procedures at its discretion.
For Coursework Content Information, contact:
Prof. Carol Bowman, email@example.com
For further Application/Registration and Payment Information about Ramapo College certificates, please click the button below: