In accordance with state and federal regulations, all students must complete hiring paperwork with the Student Assistant Program office prior to working at Ramapo College. It is the responsibility of the supervisor to ensure that students complete this paperwork before their first day of work. Once paperwork is completed, supervisors will receive an email from me to indicate a student’s clearance to work. This policy pertains to both new hires and rehires. Other responsibilities include:
- It is the responsibility of the supervisor to ensure that all students complete paperwork before their first day of work.
- Supervisors will receive an email from the SAP office as soon as a student is cleared to start working.
- Under no circumstances may a student assistant begin working prior to this clearance.
- This policy pertains to both new hires and rehires.
Student Employee Time sheets
- The student employee is responsible for entering time in their timesheet within the prescribed Web Time entry window for each pay period.
- If the student employee fails to enter time, they are subject to termination by their supervisor and they forfeit their ability to participate in the Student Assistant Program.
- If the student employee fails to enter time and the supervisor permits the student worker to continue to work, the supervisor will be held accountable.
Time sheet Approvals
- It is the supervisor’s (or proxy’s) responsibility to ensure students complete timesheets within the prescribed Web Time entry window for each pay period.
- Supervisors must review web time for accuracy and approve time sheets according to the Student Bi-Weekly Payroll Calendar.
All supervisors must assign a proxy in the event the primary supervisor is unable to approve timesheets.
- Supervisors are required to send an email with the name of their proxy to Patty Migliorisi and Robin Mertz.
- Supervisors must monitor spending to ensure budget allocations are not exceeded.
- Biweekly reports with budget expenditures are sent to supervisors to facilitate budget monitoring.
- Supervisors and appropriate staff members will receive notification when the department is approaching its spending limit.
- Prior to exhausting the allocated budget, the Student Assistant Program Coordinator will request to meet with the supervisor to determine if re-allocation of funding is available to assist the Unit. Funds are limited and assistance may not be possible.
- The supervisor is responsible and accountable for managing their budget.
- If the Unit needs to continue to employ student aides for the operational needs of the College, the supervisor will need to request a budget transfer from their Unit’s operating budget to cover any continued work of student employees in the current budget year.
- If the supervisor fails to resolve the budget shortage, the Cahill Center will work with the Budget Office to have funds transferred from the Unit’s operational budget.
- The Director of Cahill Center will notify the supervisor, copying the appropriate Cabinet member, to indicate that the Unit exhausted their budget allocation and funds to cover the deficit were transferred
Supervisor Conduct Policy
Supervisors are expected to uphold the highest ethical and professional standards of conduct and performance when supervising student assistants, per Human Resources policies.