Help Ramapo Conserve Energy
ENERGY SAVINGS PLAN
You can help Ramapo save energy and cut costs. Please review and consider the suggestions and information in this Website.
WATT YOU CAN DO!
- Turn off your computer and printer each day before leaving your residence or office.
- Turn off lights when you leave a room or office.
- Use stairs rather than elevators whenever physically able.
- Do not use automatic entry/exit doors unless physically necessary.
- Unplug all televisions, CD players, microwaves, coffee pots and other appliances not in use, especially if away on weekends; simply turning appliances “off” does not stop power use; they should be unplugged.
- Turn off copiers each evening and on weekends.
- Take home any personal unauthorized space heaters; they are not permitted.
- In residences, shorten showers.
- Close blinds after sunset to keep in heat.
WATT THE COLLEGE IS DOING
- Dr. Mercer signed the American College & University Presidents Climate Commitment, which addresses global warming by garnering institutional commitments to neutralize greenhouse gas emissions, and to accelerate the research and educational efforts of higher education to equip society to re-stabilize the earth’s climate.
- Dr. Peter P. Mercer has charged a Climate Commitment Task Force to develop and implement an institutional action plan for the college to move toward becoming climate neutral.
- Lowering thermostats approximately two degrees, maintaining reasonable comfort levels and moving to a flex week during spring break.
- During summer months the lights are turned off and thermostats are raised in the unoccupied areas and on FLEX days. Smaller chiller is used due to the reduced cooling loads.
- New construction on campus continues to incorporate sustainable technology for more efficient use of energy.
- Turning off “appearance lighting” in the Berrie lobby and Bradley Center.
- Lowering thermostats in all closed facilities during the holiday break and on extended weekends.
- Using technology to conserve energy whenever possible