College Catalog: 2011-2012
Salameno School of American and International Studies (SSAIS): Judaic Studies
The Judaic Studies minor offers a program of study in Jewish history and culture that provides understanding of Jewish heritage and contributions to Western and Middle Eastern culture. Students may use the facilities of the Gross Center for Holocaust and Genocide Studies housed in American and International Studies at Ramapo College.
- Students are required to take 5 courses (20 credits) to complete this minor.
- At least 1/2 of the courses fulfilling a minor must be distinct from the student’s major. That is, three of the five courses required for a minor cannot be used towards fulfillment of major requirements. A school core does not need to be completed for a minor. Minors are open to students regardless of school affiliation.
- Subject & Course # – Title & Course Description
- Required Foundation Course:
- HIST 264 - JEWS IN 20TH CENTURY EUROPE
- Elective Choices: Choose 4 courses from the following:
- AMER 309 - HOLOCAUST AND MEDIA
- HIST 232 - IMMIGRATION TO AMERICA
- HIST 263 - GERMAN HISTORY
- HIST 272 - ANCIENT LAW
- HIST 329 - PARADIGMS OF GENOCIDE
- HIST 340 - BIBLICAL ARCHAEOLOGY AND HISTORY
- HIST 354 -
- HIST 357 - HITLER, HOLOCAUST AND GENOCIDE
- LITR 265 - THE HEBREW BIBLE (was 219)
- LITR 366 - LITERATURE OF THE HOLOCAUST (was 348)
- SOCI 331 - SOCIOLOGY OF RELIGION
- Any two courses in Hebrew Language can count as one of the above electives:
- LANG 151 - FOUNDATIONS OF HEBREW I *
- LANG 152 - FOUNDATIONS OF HEBREW II *
- LANG 251 - INTERMEDIATE HEBREW I *
- LANG 252 - INTERMEDIATE HEBREW II *
- * Hebrew Language may or may not be offered. However, if transferred, the student may count two Hebrew language courses to fulfill one elective requirement.
- Note: Some of these courses can be fulfilled in a study abroad program offered by Ramapo College. Check with the convener of the minor for approval.