College Catalog: 2010-2011
School of Social Science and Human Services (SSHS): Substance Abuse
Ramapo College offers a minor in Substance Abuse that is primarily designed for students who are interested in substance abuse counseling.
Students will be expected to have introductory courses in both psychology and biology* as prerequisites for the minor sequence.
The courses in the minor will include:
- Substance Abuse (An introductory course that must be taken
prior to core courses).
- Drugs and Behavior (Psychopharmacology).
- Counseling Substance Abusers I (An overview of counseling
needs and issues facing abusers and their families).
- Counseling Substance Abusers II (Treatment and techniques).
- Integrative Fieldwork: Substance Abuse Practicum in Treatment (intervention or prevention).
The courses are repeated each year so that they can be taken in as few as two semesters though we recommend taking a longer period of time to complete the sequence.
The minor in Substance Abuse is designed to fulfill the academic requirements applicable towards state certification in substance abuse counseling (Alcohol and other Drugs of Abuse Counselor Certification). The fieldwork will give a hands-on experience in community agencies who deliver these services. Fieldwork will count towards the fieldwork/experience hours required for certification.
The minor will be of particular interest to students majoring in the helping professions such as psychology and social work. Some courses in the minor also count towards satisfying major requirements in psychology and social work. However, the minor is open to all interested students.
Note: For further information on State CAC/
CADC requirements please contact:
The Certification Board
1200 Tices Lane
East Brunswick, NJ 08816
1 732 249 1991
The faculty teaching in this program are all professionals in the field of substance abuse counseling. In addition to full-time faculty and staff at Ramapo College, experts from the community teach in the program on an adjunct basis. This provides students with the best combination: excellent teachers who have years of direct, professional experience in the field.
*Introduction to Biology, Fundamentals of Biology or approved course by the Convener.
** Disclaimer below
- Subject & Course # – Title & Course Description
- Prerequisite Courses:
- PSYC 101 - INTRODUCTION TO PSYCHOLOGY
- Biology requirement one of the following:
- BIOL 101 - INTRODUCTION TO BIOLOGY
- BIOL 110 - FUNDAMENTALS OF BIOLOGY I: LECTURE AND LAB or
- BIOL 215 - ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY II: LECTURE AND LAB
- Introductory course must be take prior to core courses
- PSYC 251 - SUBSTANCE ABUSE
- Core Courses:
- PSYC 330 - DRUGS AND BEHAVIOR (Fall)
- PSYC 336 - COUNSELING SUBSTANCE ABUSERS I (Fall)
- PSYC 338 - COUNSELING SUBSTANCE ABUSERS II (Spring)
- PSYC 403 - INTEGRATIVE FIELDWORK: SUBSTANCE ABUSE (Spring)
Note: A school core is NOT required for completion of the minor. Minors are open to students regardless of school affiliation.